Sunday, June 16, 2013

Happy Father's Day

 We have these videos where there are kids singing all kinds of familiar songs and  nursery rhymes.  Jonas is a big fan of these videos (not to mention, they help Mama get dinner in the oven!).  Anyway, I was in the kitchen cooking while he was watching and I was hearing "The Farmer in the Dell".  It dawned on me that I had no idea the point of this little rhyme.  

The farmer takes the wife, who takes the child, who takes the nurse (who has a family nurse?!?! Seriously?!?!)
Who takes the dog, who takes the cat, who takes the mouse, who takes the cheese. 

And you know how it goes, once the mouse takes the cheese, everyone starts leaving starting with the Farmer and the song just works itself backwards until the cheese is standing alone.  

Now you are wondering, how on earth does this apply to Father's Day?!?!  

Well, though our family doesn't have a nurse (really, is that necessary?!?!), a dog, a cat, a mouse (that we know of anyway!) or a piece of cheese that stands alone we do have: 
4 kids, 
a mortgage,
a homeschool environment,
bills to pay,
LOTS of laundry,
and seasons of crazy busyness!

And yet...the farmer never runs away.  Though this mama has probably given him many reasons to want to run, he never does.  He comes home each and every day to our crazy life and doesn't complain about the piles of laundry or volume of voices in our home.  (Though, I promise, I do try to make it contained chaos that he comes home to but there are days...)
He comes home with energy for his kids so he can play soccer and football with them.  
He comes home ready to push his daughter on the swing and always ready to pick up his littlest one into his arms.  
He comes home at a decent hour despite what he may not have gotten done at work.  
He enjoys coming home.  
No matter what dilemma we are facing, what financial struggle we are going through, or what difficult season of life we are in, he comes home.  
And this cheese, his wife, never has to stand alone...

What more could a wife ask for in her husband?  A husband who comes home to face life together.  
A father who loves his kids with all his heart.  

Dave, you are a blessing beyond all blessings and I thank God for you.  Thank you for coming home each and every day.  Thank for your serving, loving and providing for your family.  I am so blessed to be on the crazy adventure of life with you. 
Happy Father's Day!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love this analogy! Such a great post!