I thought the most significant name change in my life would be on March 18, 2000 when I married David Libby. With that name change came new family, a new home, new routines and the blessing of being with the one I will love forever. Then July 16, 2005 took place and there came another name change. I went from being Sandra Libby to "mommy". I have worked with kids my whole life but had no idea how life changed when those little ones actually lived in the same house as you! I didn't know that how I spent my time, what books I read and things I watched on TV would all be affected. After 3 years, it all kind of dawned on me in a new way this week. For example just this week, my time has been spent playing cars, changing diapers, disciplining and making sure the family is fed, dressed and taken care of. What book am I reading? "Making Your Children Mind Without Losing Yours". A very good read. And TV..."Thomas the Train", "Elmo", "Little Einstein" and "Diego" are some of the favorites right now. As I watch other moms I am realizing there are 3 camps of "mommies". The first camp is completely consumed with their children and do nothing else. The second camp consists of moms who maybe don't spend enough time with their children. They are too busy consumed with their own social lives. Then there is the third camp...the balanced camp of moms. They have quality time with their children and husband, maybe work or maybe not, are involved in activities and take time out for themselves. Right now with a preschooler, a toddler and an infant (sounds like the beginning of a bad joke, right?) I realize that I am in the first camp and I need to get to the third. I LOVE my children and wouldn't trade being their "mommy" for the world but I am learning that I need a little more balance. It's hard with a baby in the home but I know if I make the effort in just little ways, I can balance my time and activities a bit better. For example, just today we decided along with 2 other couples to get together every other Friday night to do a study on the book I am reading..."Making Your Children Mind Without Losing Yours". Yes, we are still learning how to teach and raise our children but with other adults and people in the church. Between the 3 couples there are 10 children so it should be an interesting atmosphere but I am really excited about taking this step. It's been a LONG time since we have been involved in a small group. The other day I was in the grocery store with Josiah and Hannah and of course I probably looked like a crazy woman trying to get things in the cart that needed to be and keeps things out of the cart that shouldn't be all while keeping Hannah happy and making sure Josiah didn't fall out of the cart! (Hence, why I shop on Tuesday with only 2 kids!). An older gentlemen made the statement (and I hear this ALOT!), "You have your hands full". To which I responded, "Yeah, and this isn't even all of them!". He proceeded to say that these were the best days of my life. Older people tell me that all the time and I know they are right. God just knows that I need to hear it (often!) because sometimes I get lost in the mundane tasks of the day and forget what a gift my children are. As I wash the dishes for the upteenth time each day (our new house doesn't have a dishwasher...YET), I have a scripture taped up on the wall right where I can see it everyday. "Behold, children are a gift from the Lord; the fruit of the womb is a reward." Psalm 127:3. I am grateful for the gifts he has given to me in my children and in my husband. My prayer for this year is that God will teach how to balance these gifts. How to be a better mom, a more loving wife and better servant of Christ. I certainly couldn't end this blog without some silly pictures of my "gifts".
Friday, February 6, 2009
Name Change
Sorry that this is such a long entry but I am learning something about myself with this blog...I like to write and get my thoughts on paper...or on the computer.
I thought the most significant name change in my life would be on March 18, 2000 when I married David Libby. With that name change came new family, a new home, new routines and the blessing of being with the one I will love forever. Then July 16, 2005 took place and there came another name change. I went from being Sandra Libby to "mommy". I have worked with kids my whole life but had no idea how life changed when those little ones actually lived in the same house as you! I didn't know that how I spent my time, what books I read and things I watched on TV would all be affected. After 3 years, it all kind of dawned on me in a new way this week. For example just this week, my time has been spent playing cars, changing diapers, disciplining and making sure the family is fed, dressed and taken care of. What book am I reading? "Making Your Children Mind Without Losing Yours". A very good read. And TV..."Thomas the Train", "Elmo", "Little Einstein" and "Diego" are some of the favorites right now. As I watch other moms I am realizing there are 3 camps of "mommies". The first camp is completely consumed with their children and do nothing else. The second camp consists of moms who maybe don't spend enough time with their children. They are too busy consumed with their own social lives. Then there is the third camp...the balanced camp of moms. They have quality time with their children and husband, maybe work or maybe not, are involved in activities and take time out for themselves. Right now with a preschooler, a toddler and an infant (sounds like the beginning of a bad joke, right?) I realize that I am in the first camp and I need to get to the third. I LOVE my children and wouldn't trade being their "mommy" for the world but I am learning that I need a little more balance. It's hard with a baby in the home but I know if I make the effort in just little ways, I can balance my time and activities a bit better. For example, just today we decided along with 2 other couples to get together every other Friday night to do a study on the book I am reading..."Making Your Children Mind Without Losing Yours". Yes, we are still learning how to teach and raise our children but with other adults and people in the church. Between the 3 couples there are 10 children so it should be an interesting atmosphere but I am really excited about taking this step. It's been a LONG time since we have been involved in a small group. The other day I was in the grocery store with Josiah and Hannah and of course I probably looked like a crazy woman trying to get things in the cart that needed to be and keeps things out of the cart that shouldn't be all while keeping Hannah happy and making sure Josiah didn't fall out of the cart! (Hence, why I shop on Tuesday with only 2 kids!). An older gentlemen made the statement (and I hear this ALOT!), "You have your hands full". To which I responded, "Yeah, and this isn't even all of them!". He proceeded to say that these were the best days of my life. Older people tell me that all the time and I know they are right. God just knows that I need to hear it (often!) because sometimes I get lost in the mundane tasks of the day and forget what a gift my children are. As I wash the dishes for the upteenth time each day (our new house doesn't have a dishwasher...YET), I have a scripture taped up on the wall right where I can see it everyday. "Behold, children are a gift from the Lord; the fruit of the womb is a reward." Psalm 127:3. I am grateful for the gifts he has given to me in my children and in my husband. My prayer for this year is that God will teach how to balance these gifts. How to be a better mom, a more loving wife and better servant of Christ. I certainly couldn't end this blog without some silly pictures of my "gifts".
Isn't there something about the firstborn having a Type A personality? Caleb always lines his toys up in the basement. I'll have put "The Birth Order" book on my list to read!
I thought the most significant name change in my life would be on March 18, 2000 when I married David Libby. With that name change came new family, a new home, new routines and the blessing of being with the one I will love forever. Then July 16, 2005 took place and there came another name change. I went from being Sandra Libby to "mommy". I have worked with kids my whole life but had no idea how life changed when those little ones actually lived in the same house as you! I didn't know that how I spent my time, what books I read and things I watched on TV would all be affected. After 3 years, it all kind of dawned on me in a new way this week. For example just this week, my time has been spent playing cars, changing diapers, disciplining and making sure the family is fed, dressed and taken care of. What book am I reading? "Making Your Children Mind Without Losing Yours". A very good read. And TV..."Thomas the Train", "Elmo", "Little Einstein" and "Diego" are some of the favorites right now. As I watch other moms I am realizing there are 3 camps of "mommies". The first camp is completely consumed with their children and do nothing else. The second camp consists of moms who maybe don't spend enough time with their children. They are too busy consumed with their own social lives. Then there is the third camp...the balanced camp of moms. They have quality time with their children and husband, maybe work or maybe not, are involved in activities and take time out for themselves. Right now with a preschooler, a toddler and an infant (sounds like the beginning of a bad joke, right?) I realize that I am in the first camp and I need to get to the third. I LOVE my children and wouldn't trade being their "mommy" for the world but I am learning that I need a little more balance. It's hard with a baby in the home but I know if I make the effort in just little ways, I can balance my time and activities a bit better. For example, just today we decided along with 2 other couples to get together every other Friday night to do a study on the book I am reading..."Making Your Children Mind Without Losing Yours". Yes, we are still learning how to teach and raise our children but with other adults and people in the church. Between the 3 couples there are 10 children so it should be an interesting atmosphere but I am really excited about taking this step. It's been a LONG time since we have been involved in a small group. The other day I was in the grocery store with Josiah and Hannah and of course I probably looked like a crazy woman trying to get things in the cart that needed to be and keeps things out of the cart that shouldn't be all while keeping Hannah happy and making sure Josiah didn't fall out of the cart! (Hence, why I shop on Tuesday with only 2 kids!). An older gentlemen made the statement (and I hear this ALOT!), "You have your hands full". To which I responded, "Yeah, and this isn't even all of them!". He proceeded to say that these were the best days of my life. Older people tell me that all the time and I know they are right. God just knows that I need to hear it (often!) because sometimes I get lost in the mundane tasks of the day and forget what a gift my children are. As I wash the dishes for the upteenth time each day (our new house doesn't have a dishwasher...YET), I have a scripture taped up on the wall right where I can see it everyday. "Behold, children are a gift from the Lord; the fruit of the womb is a reward." Psalm 127:3. I am grateful for the gifts he has given to me in my children and in my husband. My prayer for this year is that God will teach how to balance these gifts. How to be a better mom, a more loving wife and better servant of Christ. I certainly couldn't end this blog without some silly pictures of my "gifts".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Good stuff Sandra. This really hits home for me. I am feeling the same struggle and I am so afraid of "how bad I'll fail" when David is born. I can't even figure out what category I'm in any more. I am fortunate to be home right now, but I still can't figure out the balance. I thought I would designate Sundays as family days, but now I want to take the parenting class...so once again it's back to the drawing board. Let me know if you figure out any tricks to this whole balancing act, because I would gladly welcome the input.
I will keep you in prayer.
you're making me cry
"You have your hands full"...the nice way of saying "You're CRAZY!". I love it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Well put! You will make it to that 3rd camp. Give yourself some time and grace.
Post a Comment