Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Powerless...

Snowtober is what they are calling here in the Northeast. A perfect way to end October...with a snowstorm. We got about 8 inches and it felt like a December day. We should have been carving pumpkins but were shoveling snow instead. Honestly, it was not even exciting. That first snow of the season is usually highly anticipated and such a fun time together of snuggling up, watching movies and drinking hot chocolate and it also usually takes place in December...around Christmas. But not this year. I do have some pictures of the kids helping daddy shovel on Sunday morning but we have been with power since Saturday night so I can't upload them right now. Thankfully, my brother didn't lose his power and I am here catching on some work and laundry. The rest of the family is still without power so Rick's house has been the "hub" for warmth, showers, food and comfort. Thank goodness for family!
But it's amazing how much you depend on electricity. I mean, we have been without it for a day or so but this has been difficult. The kids don't understand why they can't sharpen their pencil (not, we don't even have an old fashioned sharpener!) or watch TV. Hannah actually cried a couple of times when I told her she couldn't watch Dora for awhile. The poor little thing just didn't get it. It came to a head a little bit this morning with no milk in the house for cereal or toaster to make waffles or toast and an empty frig. The nights are not horrible to sleep since we light about 40 candles in our bedroom before we all go to sleep...in the same room. It's the morning that's the worst. The goal is to get the kids out the door as fast possible and get some food in their bellies (something more than dry cereal is the goal).
We are told our town should all have power by Friday at midnight. In the meantime, I have felt so powerless. Powerless over my house because I can't control our electricity. Powerless to keep my house the way I want it because I can't keep up with it because we are either not home or it's too dark to do anything when we are home. Powerless to know when our newest will arrive and praying that he/she stays in another week or so...who wants to bring home a newborn to a 55 degree house??? But in being powerless, I am reminded that we have to know that Jesus is all powerful. He knows just what he is doing in us not having power in our house. He knows that I needed to be out of the house today to laundry at my brother's and just hang out with my kids. If I was home today, would I have hung out with my kids? Probably not. Would I have cuddled up and watched a movie with them? Doubt it. I truly believe that God gives us these times to take a step back. Our lives have been so busy these last couple of months and we have barely slowed down. Now we have to. And I have to admit, while I was in the bathroom getting ready one morning this week, I realized how much I enjoyed the quiet. No TV on, no computer games, no bright lights throughout the house. Just quiet. It doesn't happen often enough and I realize that it needs to happen more in our home.
Yes, it stinks not having power but I realize that it could be much worse. So many have lost entire homes through earthquakes, tornadoes and tsunamis this past year. It's just no electricity. It's difficult but we have had people reach out to help and that is a blessing. In fact, today a friend offered us a small generator to help us out a bit. We will use it for our pellet stove so hopefully that will help a bit with our lack of heat. I will keep you posted and post pictures when I can.

No comments: