Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Rest

Yes, I have been silent from the Libby homefront.  As many of you know I had foot surgery a couple days after Christmas and needless to say that has been normalcy around here a bit difficult.  There has been much movie watching, relaxing and school has been a bit more on creative side these last couple weeks.  
I have to be honest...tears have been shed.  No, not from the pain of the surgery but more out of frustration of not being able to be myself.  When you are busy by nature and have 4 children to keep up with, sitting it out doesn't not come easily.  
The first week it was easy because there was more pain and discomfort so sitting came out of necessity.  Plus it was still the holiday week and it was great to sit and simply hang out with the kiddos, friends and family. Then came the week Dave had to head back to work and our regular weekly routine was to begin.  I knew it would be tough but it was tougher than I thought.  

Almost two weeks post-op came my first set of x-rays.  Though my foot was healing well, the doctor said 2 more weeks on crutches...I cried.  I was tired of dropping things, not being able to do simple things, having to depend on others to help me. (Humilty has been a lesson learned during this season).  So as I changed the sheets on one of the kid's bed with tears in my eyes, I knew something had to change.  I had to change my attitude towards the situation.  I was frustrated, the kids were frustrated, Dave was adding a lot more on his plate (he is the laundry king my friends!) and it just wasn't working.  I had to change...

So though it took me over 2 weeks post-op, I finally found a better way for our family.  I realized I simply had to rest and relax just like the doctor had said.  I had to let go of what I had to in the house. I had to lighten up with school by reworking our schedule, sticking to the basics, and teaching only the subjects that didn't much planning.  After the kids listed a bunch of topics they were interested in, off to the library we went to pick the books!  What a difference these changes made.  Not only in our home physically but in my heart.  I felt lighter and the atmosphere in home changed tremendously.  There was less frustration with the situation and more cooperation and peace.  

And the kids are needing a bit more rest these next few days.  All 4 of them came up positive with strep at the doctor's today.  She also took one look at my throat and decided to treat me as well.  So what was our day full of today?  Movies and popsicles!  

Tomorrow are my 4 week post-op x-rays and as long as those are good, no more crutches...woo hoo!  I will still have to wear the walking boot for a couple weeks and walking will still be slow but I will take it! My only regret is that I didn't realize sooner how to approach the circumstances.  

God has a sense of humor because this morning's devotion was on this very topic:

Streams in the Desert daily devotional
He withdrew...to a solitary place. Matthew 14:13

          There is no music during a musical rest, but the rest is part of the making of the music.  In the melody of our life, the music is separated here and there by rests.  During those rests, we foolishly believe we have come to the end of the song.  God sends us times of forced leisure by allowing sickness, disappointed plans and frustrated efforts.  He brings a sudden pause in the choral hymn of our lives, and we lament that our voices must be silent.  We grieve that our part is missing in the music that continually rises to the ear of our Creator.  Yet how does a musician read the rest?  He counts the break with unwavering precision and plays his next note with confidence, as if no pause were ever there.
          God does not write the music of our lives without a plan.  Our part is to learn the tune and not be discouraged during the rests.  They are not to be slurred over or omitted, nor used to destroy the melody or to change the key.  If we will only look up, God Himself will count the time for us.  With our eyes on Him, our next note will be full and clear.  If we sorrowfully say to ourselves, "There is no music in a rest," let us not forget that the rest is part of the making of music.  The process is often slow and painful in the life, yet how patiently God works to teach us!  And how long he waits for us to learn the lesson!  

So, have I learned my lesson?  I am sure I will struggle in this area in the future because again, I am busy by nature but my hope and prayer is that I will look at the situation differently.  I would hope that I remember to appreciate the rest in the music so that I can move more confidently ahead toward the task at hand and move more confidently in the relationships that God has placed in my life.  I hope this devotion spoke to you as well so that you can remember that in His plans, rest is part of the music piece of this life.  

           






No comments: