Saturday, January 29, 2011

Ducks in a Row

WOW! Here we are practically in the 2nd month of the new year and I haven't even posted on my blog yet! Simply put...I have getting my ducks in a row. After my grandfather died, life got a little crazy. I was in a fog for about 2 weeks. Finally, after the fog began to lift I was able to complete my Christmas preparations and celebrate with my family. It was definitely different without Papa but we were all there to support one another. After Christmas, we went to visit Dave's family in Illinois. We had a very fun and relaxing week. We flew with all 3 kids for the first time and it went pretty smooth. They could all pull their own suitcases which was helpful and of course the direct flight was the only way to go! After a great visit it was back home and back to routine. Normally, I am pretty good at this but this year was different. My grandfather's death has affected me more than I realized (I don't know why we think we can put grief in a box to look the same for everyone)so while I was trying to jump right back in to our routine as a mom, teacher and wife and get a jumpstart on those New Year's goals, I was falling further and further behind and as a result getting frustrated with myself. And of course whatever emotion Mama is feeling spills over into the rest of the family. Needless to say, it wasn't a pretty picture and I have had to take a step back. I have said "no" to more things, not jumped on every invitation and have just used the month of January to re-focus on my family, re-focus on how I spend my time and on Caleb's homeschooling. God has been so good through this time of re-focus. He has opened my eyes to things I have needed to see and brought people in my life that I gleaned much knowledge and insight from. I feel now that I am not drowning and that I have a better hold on what is important right now. So that said, updating the blog just wasn't a priority. The song you hear right now is called Beautiful Things by Gungor. It has really touched my heart lately. There is one in particular line speaks to me. It says, "out of chaos life is being found". When we go through these times of craziness and we feel like we have no control over anything it is because God has control over it and he is making beautiful things out of us.
Here are just a few pictures for you. I thought I would be able to post more pictures to bring you up to date but I am having a little technical difficulty.

At church on Christmas Eve.

I just had to post this one...this was the shot I got before they all decided to look at me. Hannah and Josiah are just so in love with each other on a day to day basis. It's really cute to see.

Christmas morning...they got their matching PJ's on Christmas Eve!

The boys both got cameras for Christmas and this picture just makes me laugh.

My grandmother didn't want to open any of her gifts on Christmas. But when our kids got there, they wanted to open them so my grandmother and she finally was happy to open her gifts. It is amazing the job that children hold and they don't even know. They are the only ones that could make her smile on Christmas.

Can you tell we are on Jetblue? Caleb watched football and soccer the entire way on the plane to Grandma and Grandpa's!


4 comments:

Donna said...

What did you slip into Josiah's drink on the plane?? That's quite the face! lol Either that, or just WAY over-tired! lol

Mary Thorson said...

So glad to hear you are doing better and re-focusing on the family! You sound so much better already!

Morgan Gagnier said...

I like that song, and thanks for sharing...and it sounds like you are doing the best for yourself and your family! Love you and you are in our prayers!

Shelley said...

I am glad you are feeling better. I am never amazed at your strength. You are an incredible woman and I am honored to call you friend. I miss you so much.