Thursday, June 3, 2010

Happy Anniversary


June 2, 2010...just another day to most. Maybe someone's birthday or graduation day but to the Picariello family it was a big day. My grandparents celebrated their 70th anniversary. I still cannot fathom it. This week when I reminded Dave it was their anniversary and how long they've been married, his response was, "WOW! I thought 10 years was long." But he said with that most irresistable smile that he has so I laughed along with him. 70 years...WOW! When I wished them a Happy Anniversary on my FB status (no, at 96 and 95 they are not FBers!) a friend commented that it's a rarity to even be married for 10 years nowadays. I couldn't believe how right she was.
It isn't easy to stick together when things get hard.
It isn't easy when you have to be apart for an extended amount of time for one reason or another.
It isn't easy to raise children together...nevertheless 4 boys!
It can't be easy when your husband gets called away in the middle of the night to deliver a baby and you are home alone with your own babies.
It can't be easy to watch your spouse have a heart attack or be in the hospital for an extended amount of time.
But these are just a few of the MANY things that my grandparents have gone through over the last 70 years. When you ask my grandmother what keeps them together for so long, she will tell you, "patience and overlook". I think there is a lot of truth to that. We need to have patience with our spouse and with God in our marriage and sometimes we need to overlook some of the battles and only fight the ones we are passionate about. Recently I fell in love with this song and maybe my grandparents aren't as affectionate as maybe they once were and maybe they bicker a little more than they used to but there is no way they can be married for 70 years and not love like crazy in order to stay together. And not just love each other but certainly everyone around them. Listen to these words...it's a great song and I know I am trying to make it a reality more in my life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0f5g18EbG4

And do my grandparents own a computer? No. So chances are they won't ever read this but I couldn't let the day go by without acknowledging them. Happy Anniversary Mum and Papa!

No comments: