...through mom's eyes. It's been interesting and fun to watch how everyone in our house is preparing for, viewing and anticipating Christmas this year. As adults we know what to expect, what our plans are and how we want things done but kids are fun to watch because this year is nothing like last and I know next year will be nothing like this year for each one of them. So I thought I would just share how each one is taking it all in.

Caleb is understanding so much this year. He is truly enjoying our countdown calendar and anticipates what we will do each day. This is his and Siah's tree in their playroom. He is so proud of it and loves putting ornaments on it. He gets excited about wrapping gifts. When I wrap gifts, he finds a video we already own, wraps it himself and puts it under their Christmas tree in the basement and says we can't open it until Christmas. He has been enjoying his Christmas parties and shows and all the goodies that go along with it. There was one part of Caleb's experience I was disappointed with...he found one of his gifts! He is only 4 and already snooping! UGH! I told him no more snooping or he won't have anymore surprises on Christmas and he is like his mother, he LOVES surprises! So as far as I know, he hasn't snooped anymore. Now Santa...this has been interesting this year. We really haven't done much with Santa. We don't push the idea of Santa but we have not flat out said, "There is no Santa" (please don't allow your children to read this!!!). We have sort of wanted to see what the kids take in. So this year we were watching a Christmas movie where Santa was "bringing the presents". I asked Caleb what he thought of Santa and he quickly responded with, "I don't like him, he makes me cry." refering to the first couple of times he sat on Santa's lap and screamed (no, he doesn't remember but sees the pictures). So I asked him what he thought about all the presents and things and he said, "Well, he isn't real" which I thought was interesting. Then you could tell he was pondering and he went on to say, "but he is at the mall." You could definitely see some confusion, poor kid. It has just been interesting to watch your child try to make sense of it all. So far, I am happy with how he views Christmas. I think he understands that Santa is fun but the real meaning is that it is Jesus' birthday. Which means, YES there will be a cake to be made this week!

Ah, Siah boy...he is so along for the ride. Whatever that countdown calendar says, he is usually in on. He just likes to do whatever Caleb is doing. And of course, like this picture says, he enjoys anything that involves a treat. He doesn't get into the wrapping and things as much as Caleb but he is aware that there is more excitement than usual and is enjoying it. I have heard him say though that it is Jesus' birthday...it's a start!

Hannah is so active this year. Once in awhile we have to re-direct her from the tree but for the most part she is doing really well with it. She has tried to get involved with the wrapping...you can imagine for yourself how that goes. I have enjoyed dressing her in all the Christmas dresses and clothes for all the parties and things. She has truly come alive in playing with toys lately so I am excited to see her Christmas morning with her new things.

The boys and our first Gingerbread House...well, it was actually a Gingerbread Train. This was a first for me too. I can't believe I've never made one before. And now that I have, Auntie Donna and Uncle Eric, I don't know how you make one each year...they are not the easiest to make! We did have fun making it though and the boys are constantly eyeing that candy
each day...surprise, surprise!
As for Dave and I, I am still stressing a bit since I have a couple of more gifts to buy (so unlike me!), wrapping to do and some cooking on the agenda. But until the last day or so, I have felt pretty stress free so far, have cleared our calendar of things so that we have time to spend together and have been enjoying the activities with the kids. Dave has been such a big part of the festivities with hanging the lights on our house (another first for us!), putting lights on the tree and doing some of the Christmas shopping. He is also smiling pretty big today knowing he has the next 2 weeks off too...I'm pretty happy that too!!!! We are both excited that his parents are able to visit us for Christmas this year. They arrived late last night and the kids are having a blast! We are happy that they can join us in our festivities and traditions. They have already placed some gifts under the tree and we have some curious little monkeys...I am so excited for Christmas Day but want to enjoy the last few days leading up to it baking, relaxing and enjoying family. Merry Christmas to all of you! May your day be blessed!!!
1 comment:
You gave in to the gingerbread houses, yay! It came out FAB!
Post a Comment