Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Plan B

Dave and I celebrating our 9th anniversary today at the zoo. That's right...the zoo.


Depending on the situation, I can quite the planner (hence, maybe why I love to help others plan weddings) and sometimes I just love being spontaneous and enjoying surprises (like not finding out the sex of our babies). Well, today I had to be both. Let me explain...
Last year while we were away for our anniversary, I learned that David Libby had NEVER been ice skating in his entire life. Well, I had to change that so since last year, I have had it planned that we would go ice skating at Frog Pond in Boston. I myself have been ice skating but never on Frog Pond so I have been so excited about this. My mom would be taking the kids to school with her for the day. After ice skating we would go to Fire and Ice for lunch which is another place neither one of us have ever been. I gave Dave his card last night at dinner and let him in on our plans. I had been keeping it a surprise until then. Dave and I very rarely get an entire day with just the 2 of us (in fact, I think it's only on our anniversary), so we were particularly excited about the day. A little earlier in the day, however, Caleb had come in from outside and said his cheek hurt. I didn't think too much of it until dinner when he said "The hurt's in my ear too." Dave and I looked at each other and knew exactly what that meant since Josiah's "cheek" had also hurt last week. I took Caleb's temperature before bed and sure enough he had a fever so he couldn't go to school today with my mom. Not only that but I also found out that Frog Pond closed for the skating season...yesterday. This morning Caleb seemed fine but still had a fever so I got him into the doctor's office and found out he did have an ear infection as suspected. When we got home, neither Dave nor I were up for sitting around at home on our anniversary. The weather was absolutely beautiful, we needed to be outside and Caleb seemed to be doing ok. We thought about shopping (no fun with 3 kids) and then we thought of a few things we could do near our house but we wanted to go on a day trip so I went online to just see if the zoo was even open yet. I honestly didn't think it would be but we found out it was open year-round so that was our plan. We quickly packed up the car and headed to the Franklin Park Zoo near Boston. It turned out to be a really good idea! The kids were great, the weather was perfect and we saw a lot of animals despite how early in the season it was. And since it was only March, there was hardly anyone there. What a fun time we had! Tonight we will end are day by snuggling on the couch watching our favorite show "LOST" and sharing our favorite snack, Andy Capps Cheddar Fries.
Between Caleb's ear infection and Frog Pond being closed, I just figured the day wasn't meant to be. But of course it was meant to be...just not the way we had originally planned. God always gives us Plan B. After 9 years, we are still learning that life is an adventure and full of "Plan B's" but there is nobody in the world I would rather share it all with than David Libby.
I love you babe! Happy Anniversary!


Not only did we go to the zoo but we brought our own zoo along with us!

(Dave found it funny that we filled almost all the faces in the sign. Hmmm...should we add one more face to the zoo someday?.....)


Here are the kids in front of the Prairie Dogs. They particularly liked
watching these little guys. Hannah's first time at the zoo.

4 comments:

Shelley said...

I am glad your day turned out special after all. Happy Anniversary and congratulations on 9 yrs of happiness and love.
Enjoy Lost for me, Jeremy is at a wrestling show so we can't watch til tomorrow.

Morgan Gagnier said...

Way to be flexible, and happy anniversary! I am glad you went to that zoo, I haven't been there but have wanted to go. I hope the kids are all better soon!

Lydia said...

Happy Anniversary!

Marci Goodwin said...

Its usually the plan b's that become the most memorable! Happy Anniversary!